Health Wise
Plan ahead for vaccinations required for school...
by Angela McEllhiney, R.N.
Jul 19, 2012 | 865 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
School in Moab begins again at the end of August, but there is still plenty of time to get your children the required vaccines. Immunizations are a powerful health tool to prevent common childhood illnesses and diseases, so make an appointment to get your children in to see their primary care doctor or visit the health department to update their immunizations.

Updating childhood immunizations could prevent delays in your children starting school.

Children entering kindergarten and seventh grade are required to receive certain vaccines before they can start school, unless they have completed a Utah Department of Health exemption form. Those forms can be obtained from the Southeastern Utah District Health Department, located at 575 S. Kane Creek Blvd. in Moab, or from the primary care doctor, depending on the type of exemption requested. Parents may request that their children be exempt from having the vaccinations based on medical, religious, or personal reasons. The exemption forms usually have to be completed annually and filed each year with the school your child will be attending. For more information about exemption forms and requirements, contact the health department at 435-259-5602.

Immunizations are important to prevent serious illnesses and diseases. Immunizations can protect future generations from preventable diseases and illnesses, but if parents choose to delay some vaccines or refuse some vaccines entirely, it is important to know that there can be risks involved, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Please, take the steps to protect your child, your family, and others by discussing those risks with your healthcare provider and by learning about immunizations. Information is available at the CDC website at, by contacting your local health department for more information or by visiting the Utah state website at

Make an appointment with your child’s primary care physician or visit one of these local offices, which regularly offer children’s immunizations in the Moab area:

Southeastern Utah District Health Department, 575 S. Kane Creek Blvd. Immunization Clinics held Mondays from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.; Wednesdays from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and by appointment. For more information call 435-259-7369, or visit their website at

Spanish Valley Clinic, 11850 S. U.S. 191. Immunization and well-child visit walk-in hours are Mondays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to noon. For more information call 435-259-6507.

Moab Family Medicine, 476 W. Williams Way, Suite A. Walk-in immunization hours are Monday through Friday from 9 to 10 a.m. For more information call 435-259-7121 or visit their website at

Moab Regional Medical Clinic, 476 W. Williams Way, Suite A-1. Walk-in immunization hours are Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8 to 19 a.m., or Monday through Thursday from 4 to 5 p.m. For more information call 435-719-5500 or visit their website at

Dr. Ray Andrew Family Practice, 255 W. Williams Way in Moab.  Walk-in immunization hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information call 435-259-4466.

Children under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian when receiving immunizations and should plan on staying at least 30 minutes to one hour after immunizations are given. Please bring all immunization records and insurance information when arriving for the appointment or clinic visits. For handouts, parent education, printable immunization schedules and immunization tracking forms visit, your local health department website or ask your primary care doctor for more information.

Angela McEllhiney is a registered nurse who has spent several years working in hospital pediatric intensive care units. She now lives and works in Moab, Utah.

Copyright 2013 The Times-Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

report abuse...

Express yourself:

We're glad to give readers a forum to express their points of view on issues important to this community. That forum is the “Letters to the Editor.” Letters to the editor may be submitted directly to The Times-Independent through this link and will be published in the print edition of the newspaper. All letters must be the original work of the letter writer – form letters will not be accepted. All letters must include the actual first and last name of the letter writer, the writer’s address, city and state and telephone number. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.

Letters may not exceed 400 words in length, must be regarding issues of general interest to the community, and may not include personal attacks, offensive language, ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks on personal or religious beliefs. Letters should focus on a single issue. Letters that proselytize or focus on theological debates will not be published. During political campaigns, The Times-Independent will not publish letters supporting or opposing any local candidate. Thank you letters are generally not accepted for publication unless the letter has a public purpose. Thank you letters dealing with private matters that compliment or complain about a business or individual will not be published. Nor will letters listing the names of individuals and/or businesses that supported a cause or event. Thank you letters about good Samaritan acts will be considered at the discretion of the newspaper.