Preliminary hearings scheduled for three charged in March 25 homicide
by Lisa J. Church
Staff Writer
May 09, 2013 | 2588 views | 0 0 comments | 8 8 recommendations | email to a friend | print
19 Homicide defendants court appearance
Corina Yardley waits for her hearing to begin in 7th District Court on May 7.
Photo by Geoff Liesik, KSL News
Corina Yardley waits for her hearing to begin in 7th District Court on May 7. Photo by Geoff Liesik, KSL News
slideshow
Preliminary hearings have been scheduled in September for a woman and two teenagers charged in connection with the March 25 shooting death of a Moab man.

Brody Blu Kruckenberg and Charles Anthony Nelson, both 16, have been charged as adults with one count each of first-degree felony murder for the slaying of Gregorio Salazar Campos, 33. Campos’ body was discovered April 7 in the Colorado River. Kruckenberg and Nelson are also charged with one count each of obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.

Corina Dawn Yardley, 44, who was the victim’s girlfriend and who is Kruckenberg’s mother, is charged with two counts of obstruction of justice.

Seventh District Judge Lyle Anderson on Tuesday, May 7, scheduled preliminary hearings for all three defendants on Sept. 25.

The preliminary hearing for the teens will begin at 9 a.m. Yardley will have a separate hearing the same day, after the hearing for Nelson and Kruckenberg is completed. At a preliminary hearing, prosecutors must present evidence demonstrating probable cause that the defendants committed the crime. The judge then determines whether the evidence is sufficient to bind the defendants over for trial.

Investigators have said Campos was shot three times in the head on March 25 as he slept in Yardley’s bed at her mobile home on River Sands Road, according to a probable cause statement released last month by the Grand County Sheriff’s Office.

Nelson was allegedly persuaded to fire the gun by his friend, Kruckenberg, according to the probable cause statement.

An informant told sheriff’s investigators that Nelson claimed that on the day of slaying, Kruckenberg had contacted him saying Campos was asleep and asking Nelson to come over, according to the probable cause statement.

The informant claimed Nelson told him that Kruckenberg said, “Let’s kill him,” but that Kruckenberg could not do the killing and asked Nelson to do it, according to the documents.

“[Nelson] said it was not his deal, but was talked into doing it,” the probable cause document states.

Nelson then allegedly told the informant that he pointed the gun through a crack in the doorway of Yardley’s bedroom and shot Campos three times, according to the probable cause statement.

Investigators allege that Yardley cleaned blood from the wall and the carpet in the bedroom and helped the boys dispose of Campos’ body by allowing them use her truck. She also allegedly removed the mattresses and bedding from the bedroom scene and bought a new mattress shortly after that, according to information in another probable cause statement.

Law enforcement and Grand County Attorney Andrew Fitzgerald have declined to discuss a motive for the homicide, but a motion filed in 7th District Court to seal the search warrant served on the home where Campos was killed states that investigators have received information that “suggests illegal drug trafficking with connections to violent groups.” That court document was released to KSL News, which provided a copy to The Times-Independent, on Tuesday, May 7, in response to a public records request to Utah State Courts.

In an interview this week with KSL, Campos’ family said he was not involved in illegal drug trafficking.

Nelson and Kruckenberg each are being held in Grand County Jail in lieu of $250,000 cash-only bail. Yardley is being held in lieu of $50,000 cash-only bail.

Copyright 2013 The Times-Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

report abuse...

Express yourself:

We're glad to give readers a forum to express their points of view on issues important to this community. That forum is the “Letters to the Editor.” Letters to the editor may be submitted directly to The Times-Independent through this link and will be published in the print edition of the newspaper. All letters must be the original work of the letter writer – form letters will not be accepted. All letters must include the actual first and last name of the letter writer, the writer’s address, city and state and telephone number. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.

Letters may not exceed 400 words in length, must be regarding issues of general interest to the community, and may not include personal attacks, offensive language, ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks on personal or religious beliefs. Letters should focus on a single issue. Letters that proselytize or focus on theological debates will not be published. During political campaigns, The Times-Independent will not publish letters supporting or opposing any local candidate. Thank you letters are generally not accepted for publication unless the letter has a public purpose. Thank you letters dealing with private matters that compliment or complain about a business or individual will not be published. Nor will letters listing the names of individuals and/or businesses that supported a cause or event. Thank you letters about good Samaritan acts will be considered at the discretion of the newspaper.