Sinbad Fire now 75 percent contained, FS officials say
by Lisa J. Church
Staff Writer
Jul 18, 2013 | 1599 views | 0 0 comments | 60 60 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A lightning-caused wildfire that has been burning east of Moab is now 75 percent contained. The Sinbad Fire began July 7 and has charred a total of 438 acres, officials said.           Photo courtesy of the U.S. Forest Service
A lightning-caused wildfire that has been burning east of Moab is now 75 percent contained. The Sinbad Fire began July 7 and has charred a total of 438 acres, officials said. Photo courtesy of the U.S. Forest Service
slideshow
A 438-acre wildfire that has been burning in steep rugged terrain in the La Sal Mountains east of Moab is now 75 percent contained, according to information from the U.S. Forest Service.

As of Saturday, July 14, a Moab-based fire incident management team assumed control of the Sinbad Fire, which is located 29 miles east of Moab. Most firefighters and other personnel were released from the incident on Sunday, according to a news release.

Fire managers will continue to monitor the fire, which is smoldering in timber

and brush on Sinbad Ridge – a steep, inaccessible hilltop located at the eastern extreme of the Manti-La Sal National Forest.

Remaining hand crews will continue to improve fire lines and mop up burned areas, and a helicopter will be available, if needed, for reconnaissance and to drop water on hot spots, Forest Service officials said in the news release.

Earlier last week, three hand crews consisting of 20 firefighters each, four fire engines and three helicopter crews worked to contain the fire. No evacuations were required and no structures were damaged in the incident, Forest Service officials said.

The wildfire was sparked by a lightning strike on July 7, Forest Service officials said.


Copyright 2013 The Times-Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

report abuse...

Express yourself:

We're glad to give readers a forum to express their points of view on issues important to this community. That forum is the “Letters to the Editor.” Letters to the editor may be submitted directly to The Times-Independent through this link and will be published in the print edition of the newspaper. All letters must be the original work of the letter writer – form letters will not be accepted. All letters must include the actual first and last name of the letter writer, the writer’s address, city and state and telephone number. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.

Letters may not exceed 400 words in length, must be regarding issues of general interest to the community, and may not include personal attacks, offensive language, ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks on personal or religious beliefs. Letters should focus on a single issue. Letters that proselytize or focus on theological debates will not be published. During political campaigns, The Times-Independent will not publish letters supporting or opposing any local candidate. Thank you letters are generally not accepted for publication unless the letter has a public purpose. Thank you letters dealing with private matters that compliment or complain about a business or individual will not be published. Nor will letters listing the names of individuals and/or businesses that supported a cause or event. Thank you letters about good Samaritan acts will be considered at the discretion of the newspaper.