The Grand County Council made appointments to various advisory boards and commissions during its meeting Tuesday, Dec.17.
On the planning commission, Mike Duncan was re-appointed to serve until 2016 and David Stolfa was re-appointed to fill a mid-term vacancy through 2013. The planning commission recommended they be named to the panel, along with first-time applicant Ryan McCandless.
However, the council voted to appoint Gerrish Willis for a full term that expires in 2016 rather than McCandless.
Council member Chris Baird made the motion to select Willis, saying, “He has considerable planning experience.”
Council member Audrey Graham agreed. “He does his homework,” she said.
Graham acknowledged the planning commission’s recommendation of McCandless, but explained, “We want their recommendations, but we don’t always go by them.”
During a previous planning commission meeting, McCandless acknowledged he had never attended a commission meeting. He said he wanted to learn about local issues.
Appointments to other bodies included:
• Grand County Board of Adjustment – James Hofmann was re-appointed until 2016, Russell Pogue replaces Dale Peterson for a full term until 2016, Sena Hauer will fill a vacancy ending in 2015, and Kyle Kimmerle will fill an alternate vacancy during 2013.
• Grand County Council on Aging –Adrien Taylor replaces Shawn Ellis for a full term that expires in 2016, Joe Chacon was re-appointed until 2016, and Sandy McKimmey replaces Suzanne Allemand for a four-year term.
• Grand County Library Board – Kathleen McHugh replaces Al McLeod for a full term expiring in 2016.
• Grand County Solid Waste Board – Kevin Fitzgerald was re-appointed for a four-year term.
• Moab Area Travel Council – Sam Wainer was re-appointed for a four-year term.