Save time and money: Do your federal taxes for free
by Brandpoint (ARA) Sponsored Content
Jan 29, 2014 | 4378 views | 0 0 comments | 41 41 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Taxes can be, well, taxing. But there's a simple, easy way to do your federal taxes, and it's all for free. It's called Free File.

Free File does the hard work for you either through brand-name software or online fillable forms. And, it's available only at

Free File is offered through the Internal Revenue Service by 14 of the nation's leading tax software manufacturers. Nearly 40 million people have used Free File and, using the most conservative estimate, they've saved $1.2 billion in fees.

Free File is available 24/7, giving you the freedom to decide when and how you want to do your federal taxes.

How to start saving

Here's how to get started:

* Go to

* If your income was $58,000 or less in 2013, select the 'Start Free File Now' button.

* Each of the 14 participating companies has a special offer.

* Review the company offers or use the 'help me find Free File software' tool.

* Select the tax software that matches your situation.

* Leave and go to the company's site to begin your taxes.

Free File software uses a familiar question-and-answer format. Go at your own pace. You can save your information and return to it. All the companies adhere to the highest security standards to ensure the safety of your tax information.

If your income was more than $58,000, you can use Free File Fillable Forms, the electronic version of IRS paper forms. Just select the 'Free File Fillable Forms' button at This version is best if you are comfortable preparing your own tax return with more limited help.

E-file and track your refund

Once you've finished your return, you can also print a copy and e-file your federal taxes, absolutely for free. With electronic filing, you will receive a confirmation within minutes that the IRS has accepted your return. Or, if it's not accepted, you can easily find out why. E-file helps make your tax return even more accurate, which means a quicker refund.

To get your refund even faster, combine e-file with direct deposit. Nine out of 10 taxpayers get their refunds within 21 days. You can track your refund by using 'Where's My Refund?' on It's updated once daily. There's even an IRS smartphone app, IRS2Go, that you can use to track your refund.

Self-help options on

Free File and 'Where's My Refund?' are just two of many self-help options available at Have a tax law question? Visit the Interactive Tax Assistant, IRS Tax Map or Tax Trails sections of the website.

You also can find payment options and create an installment payment agreement online. You can even order a summary of a previous tax return.

File an extension with Free File

If you can't meet the April 15 deadline, you can use either Free File software or online fillable forms to file an extension. Use Free File to complete and submit Form 4868. And then, return to Free File by Oct. 15, 2014, to file your return.

Copyright 2013 The Times-Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

report abuse...

Express yourself:

We're glad to give readers a forum to express their points of view on issues important to this community. That forum is the “Letters to the Editor.” Letters to the editor may be submitted directly to The Times-Independent through this link and will be published in the print edition of the newspaper. All letters must be the original work of the letter writer – form letters will not be accepted. All letters must include the actual first and last name of the letter writer, the writer’s address, city and state and telephone number. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.

Letters may not exceed 400 words in length, must be regarding issues of general interest to the community, and may not include personal attacks, offensive language, ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks on personal or religious beliefs. Letters should focus on a single issue. Letters that proselytize or focus on theological debates will not be published. During political campaigns, The Times-Independent will not publish letters supporting or opposing any local candidate. Thank you letters are generally not accepted for publication unless the letter has a public purpose. Thank you letters dealing with private matters that compliment or complain about a business or individual will not be published. Nor will letters listing the names of individuals and/or businesses that supported a cause or event. Thank you letters about good Samaritan acts will be considered at the discretion of the newspaper.