A division of NPS fees...
Dec 21, 2017 | 949 views | 0 0 comments | 98 98 recommendations | email to a friend | print
I am answering the question posed in the letter “A tax on the public” from A.O. Olson in the Dec. 14 issue of The Times-Independent on National Park Service (NPS) entrance fees.

Since 2004 when the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA) was enacted, a park unit may keep 80 percent of recreation fee revenue collected. The remaining 20 percent goes into a centralized account for all NPS priorities. The FLREA money is allocated to certain projects tied to visitor experience.

I found interesting political history on fees on the NPS website. Concerning the proposed fee increase plan for the 17 NPS parks, Arches and Canyonlands included, the comment period is until Dec. 22. These proposals from the federal level are sensitive to public sentiment. Go to parkplanning.nps.gov/proposedpeakseasonfeerates for more information.

The Times-Independent website has the articles on this plan, with one written by Rose Egelhoff. The proposed plan might have been influenced by a U.S. Department of Interior revenue-generating audit of the NPS recreation fee program from 2015 by the Office of Inspector General.

—Molly Taylor

Moab

Copyright 2013 The Times-Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

report abuse...

Express yourself:

We're glad to give readers a forum to express their points of view on issues important to this community. That forum is the “Letters to the Editor.” Letters to the editor may be submitted directly to The Times-Independent through this link and will be published in the print edition of the newspaper. All letters must be the original work of the letter writer – form letters will not be accepted. All letters must include the actual first and last name of the letter writer, the writer’s address, city and state and telephone number. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.

Letters may not exceed 400 words in length, must be regarding issues of general interest to the community, and may not include personal attacks, offensive language, ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks on personal or religious beliefs. Letters should focus on a single issue. Letters that proselytize or focus on theological debates will not be published. During political campaigns, The Times-Independent will not publish letters supporting or opposing any local candidate. Thank you letters are generally not accepted for publication unless the letter has a public purpose. Thank you letters dealing with private matters that compliment or complain about a business or individual will not be published. Nor will letters listing the names of individuals and/or businesses that supported a cause or event. Thank you letters about good Samaritan acts will be considered at the discretion of the newspaper.