My View
Dear State Auditor Walker
by Howard Trenholme
Aug 09, 2018 | 379 views | 0 0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Editor’s Note: Moab Area Travel Council Advisory Board Chairman Howard Trenholme has sent this letter to the Utah State Auditor. He shares it below. “We informed the county council about the collection of local taxes on camp sites on public lands in our county two years ago. Since I have never heard that any subsequent action was taken by the county, I felt compelled to ask the questions directly to the state auditor,” Trenholme told The Times-Independent.

Dear State Auditor Walker,

I am reaching out to you on behalf of our local Grand County Travel Advisory Board as well as all of Grand County’s residents/property tax payers. As the chair I have been looking closely at the state codes regarding the spending of these related taxes and I would like you to address a few issues and questions regarding the taxes and their allocations. Our county is preparing its 2019 budgets and our board would like information which would pertain to usage of these taxes.

(1) Under 17-31-5.5, subsection 2(a)(ii)(E) states funding can be allocated to “related facilities”. Grand County is a class 5 county where 96 percent of the land is under federal control, mainly by the Department of the Interior. The portion of land available for realistic development for everything else sits between the Colorado River and San Juan County, just a few square miles of land. The whole basis of our local economy depends on tourism, and the infrastructure for accommodating visitors has grown considerably. Parallel to this has been the complete lack of available housing for essential service job workers. This accommodation growth has created a huge demand for employees who service these visitors, initially with overnight lodging/camping, and then with all of the restaurants, guide services, gift shops etc.

Other communities in rural Colorado tourist towns/counties created assured housing programs funded principally from developers back in the late 1970s (Aspen/Pitkin County, Colo.). There are no mechanisms in local codes currently for assured housing. We are in very short supply of these essential individuals who are the main collection point for all of the tourism taxes collected. With this in mind, can a portion of tourist taxes be used to help fund affordable housing for qualified individuals who provide this service? This allocated funding would help obtain matching funds from the city, state etc., to make this happen in the form of land trusts, employee housing developments and the administrative-related structures.

(2) How can our county request that the federal land agencies within our county collect local taxes on the hundreds of fee-based of campsites in our county? They are not exempt from this collection and our county needs them for mitigation costs of these visitors. State parks do collect local sales and transient room taxes on campsites and admission fees.

(3) How can our county be reimbursed for sheriff-related services into public lands? It is my understanding that these land agencies are required to provide their own enforcement and if not, because of insufficient funding from Congress, they should fully reimburse our county for any costs associated with responding to calls from these federally controlled lands.

(4) Under the current laws, if the county does not spend a legally required minimum amount on promotion/marketing, and there is a downturn in business, would the county open itself up to lawsuits from the private sector who could argue that the decreased spending in this mandated amount was in some way responsible for any down turn in their business?

I am sorry I was unable to meet you in person to ask these questions while you were in Moab. Each of them pertains to questions every rural county in Utah that is working on developing tourism as a viable, sustainable and successful tourism economy should be asking.

I look forward to you clarifying these matters for our community.


–Howard Trenholme

Chair, Moab Area Travel Council

/Tax Advisory Board

Copyright 2013 The Times-Independent. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

report abuse...

Express yourself:

We're glad to give readers a forum to express their points of view on issues important to this community. That forum is the “Letters to the Editor.” Letters to the editor may be submitted directly to The Times-Independent through this link and will be published in the print edition of the newspaper. All letters must be the original work of the letter writer – form letters will not be accepted. All letters must include the actual first and last name of the letter writer, the writer’s address, city and state and telephone number. Anonymous letters will not be accepted.

Letters may not exceed 400 words in length, must be regarding issues of general interest to the community, and may not include personal attacks, offensive language, ethnic or racial slurs, or attacks on personal or religious beliefs. Letters should focus on a single issue. Letters that proselytize or focus on theological debates will not be published. During political campaigns, The Times-Independent will not publish letters supporting or opposing any local candidate. Thank you letters are generally not accepted for publication unless the letter has a public purpose. Thank you letters dealing with private matters that compliment or complain about a business or individual will not be published. Nor will letters listing the names of individuals and/or businesses that supported a cause or event. Thank you letters about good Samaritan acts will be considered at the discretion of the newspaper.