The purpose of this correspondence is to invite you to become a member of the Grand County High School Community Council and inform you of the nature of this organization.
Utah Code 53G-7-1202 along with Board Rule R277-491 requires all schools in the state to have a school community council. The main purpose of this council it to help each school improve student achievement by developing a plan based on district and school goals. The purpose of the high school council will be to:
1. Review student assessment of growth and excellence (SAGE), junior ACT results, AP results, the new MAP assessment data, and other pertinent data related to student achievement.
2. Develop a school improvement plan for improving student achievement/learning. This plan may be multi-year and must be presented and approved annually by the Grand Board of Education. (See the School Lands Trust website at: http://www.schoollandtrust.org/ for more information.)
3. Assist in the development and implementation of a plan for staff development. We will continue to implement goals from our accreditation in March of 2017.
4. If applicable, appoint individuals to serve on subcommittees to assist in the development of the plans. (Note: Appointed individuals need not be members of the council.)
In response to the council, the school shall:
1. Implement the plans that are developed by the council and approved by the Grand Board of Education.
2. Provide ongoing support for the council’s plans.
3. Meet the Grand Board of Education’s reporting requirement regarding performance and accountability.
4. Publicize to its patrons and the general public its plan to enhance or improve academic excellence at the school and the results of those efforts. The plan for 2018-2019 can be accessed on the GCHS website: http://www.grandschools.org/highschool )
5. Prepare and present an annual report to the Grand Board of Education by the end of each school year.
If you would like to be considered for membership on this year’s council at GCHS or would like to find out more information regarding the council and its endeavors to date, our first organizational meeting and election, if applicable, of new members for this school year will be Sept. 10 at 4:30 pm in classroom No. 100 to one’s immediate left when entering the Technical Science and Arts Center east of the main building. You must have a student in the high school to be eligible. If you would like more information, contact Dr. Stephen Hren at 719-4890 or 260-6020.