Bones found believed to be those of man suspected of shooting state park ranger in 2010

Authorities believe the remains of the man who allegedly shot Utah State Parks Ranger Brody Young in 2010 have been found. The bones have been sent to the Utah Medical Examiner’s Office for positive identification. A Moab resident contacted authorities today, Dec. 24, to report finding a bone and a bag containing a handgun and and ammunition in a cave-like area near Tangrila Ranch off of the Potash Road. Lands near the ranch had been one area combed by searchers during an intensive manhunt for alleged shooter Lance Leeroy Arellano in the days following the Nov. 19, 2010 near-fatal shooting of Young.

We’ll have a full story in next week’s edition. Meanwhile, here’s the news release from the Sheriff’s Office:

On December 24, 2015 it was reported to the Grand County Sheriff’s Office that a human bone and bag containing a handgun and magazine was found in the area adjacent to Tangrila Ranch that had been an area of an intensive search for a suspect in the shooting of State Park Ranger, Brody Young. The shooting of Brody Young had occurred on November 19, 2010.

Grand County Sheriff’s Office met with Caleb Shumway, the person that had discovered the bone, on this date and were directed to the area of the discovery. Caleb is a local resident of Moab and was home on break from college and was in the area for the sole purpose to search for any evidence of the location of the suspect in the shooting.

The area consisted of huge rock boulders and ledges that formed numerous caves and crevasses. The area where the bone and bag was found was searched and the remains were located in a cave like area that was accessed by crawling through a narrow entrance way to a void in the rocks that was approximately 6 feet long and 3 feet high and approximately 3 feet wide. Evidence was located with the remains that lead investigators to believe the remains are those of Lance Leeroy Arellano, the suspect in the shooting of Brody Young.

The remains will be transported to the Utah State Medical Examiner’s Office for positive identification.