Veterans, members of armed forces have student aid options

Veterans and members of the U.S. armed forces may be able to take advantage of numerous student financial aid programs, according to KHEAA, a higher education assistance authority. The federal government also offers programs for the dependents of veterans and service members.

Federal programs include GI Bill benefits, first passed in 1944 for veterans of World War Two. The federal government offers several versions, with benefits that vary according to when individuals entered service, when they left the service and other criteria. More changes are coming as the result of the Forever GI Bill, passed in 2017. Visit for more information.

There is federal tuition assistance for active duty members of all branches of the armed forces, including the Coast Guard, National Guard and Reserves. For more information, contact the college financial aid office or the unit education officer.

Another options is Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, for students who had a parent or guardian die as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept. 10, 2001. For more information, look under Types of Aid at