A man accused of murdering a Moab resident Oct. 28 has been found competent to stand trial after an evaluation by state doctors.
The trial of Omar Guerro has been scheduled for four days beginning at 9 a.m. May 28. Jurors were summoned May 14. Judge Don Torgerson in court documents said no plea deals will be accepted once the jury is summoned.
Witnesses at Guerro’s preliminary hearing held earlier this year said he twice shot Edgar Luna Najera on the night of Oct. 28 at Najera’s Walnut Lane home. Guerro allegedly forced three people in the home to help him get out of town following the shooting.
He and two men who will testify against him were arrested in Arizona on Oct. 31.
Guerro is charged with first-degree murder – knowing and intentional – three counts of first-degree aggravated kidnapping, and possession of a dangerous weapon by a prohibited person, a second-degree felony.
He is charged with felony assault of a prisoner in another case.