The Times-Independent sent questions to each of the 11 candidates running for three seats on the Moab City Council in 2019. Here are the three questions we asked:
- What are your thoughts on the version of PAD that the city passed last month? What would you like to improve, change, or remove?
- What are your thoughts on the proposal for council members to get back health coverage that they lost starting in 2014? Would you like to see city council members pay and benefits increased, decreased, or stay the same?
- What are your thoughts on removing lodging as a protected use in the City of Moab? Should the rules be less restrictive, or should new hotels and overnight rentals be disallowed completely as proposed?
Here is the list of candidates, with their replies:
- Tawny Knuteson-Boyd, incumbent
- Mike McCurdy, Moab Property Group employee
- Rani Derasary, incumbent
- Kenneth G. Minor, owner of the local H&R Block franchise
- Kendall Jenson
- Valarie Valenzuela, hotel worker
- Cassie Patterson, Moab Charter School lunch lady
- Solona Jade Sisco, local reporter and Community Rebuilds Intern
- Josie Kovash, (withdrawn) KZMU Music Director and bartender
- Kalen Jones, incumbent
- M. Bryon Walston, Moab Premier Properties and Angel Watch Storage owner and operator
Note: Kovash has withdrawn from the 2019 race for Moab City Council.