Ken’s Lake flare-up

Photo by Doug McMurdo

Bureau of Land Management Fire Investigator J.B. Clay gathers evidence at a fire that occurred July 3 near the parking area at Ken’s Lake.

Clay said the fire was caused by people setting off fireworks. He said firefighters with the Moab Valley Fire Department wasted no time dousing the fire, which consumed about half an acre.

Clay said it was fortunate the high winds that were expected that night never materialized, otherwise, “it would have been bad.”

He said it looked like whoever started the fire tried to stomp it out, but it got away from them. They had left prior to any responders arriving on scene.