U.S. reportedly sending troops to Middle East after Iran promises retaliation
After President Donald Trump ordered on Friday, Jan. 3, a drone strike that killed Iranian Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, the country’s top security and intelligence commander, Iran’s supreme leader promised retaliation, prompting the U.S. to allocate 3,500 troops to be sent to the Middle East. U.S. Rep. John Curtis, R-Provo, responded by calling the action a decisive one that would “protect countless lives.”
Before his death, Soleimani led the Quds Force of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, which heads Iran’s foreign operations. Soleimani also directed Iran-backed militias in the fight against the Islamic State and was hailed as a war hero in Iran.
American officials, including Curtis, consider Soleimani responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Americans during the Iraq war. Curtis said in his statement Friday Soleimani had been “plotting more attacks against the U.S.”
Curtis said the president “acted decisively” by ordering attack on Iran, which he said would “protect countless lives,” including those of “service members, diplomats, and everyday citizens.”
Reports Friday indicated that U.S. officials had no doubts Iran would respond to the attack, the open question being how quickly and how severely. Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, quickly promised retaliation after the attack, and the U.S. responded with plans to send American troops to the Middle East.
“I expect someone from the Administration to brief myself and my colleagues on the House Foreign Affairs Committee as soon as possible,” Curtis said.