Sunday, June 7, 2020


Moab, UT

59.4 F


    County OKs new overnight lodging rules

    Council places 'soft cap' on future development At right, Zacharia Levine Jan. 7 discusses new development standards for overnight lodging projects. See related story. Photo...

    Hundreds appeal to county, city for continued lodging cutback

    Letter: No ‘new projects’ until pending projects are done A physical copy of an open letter — an...

    New ground rules on horizon for hotel development

    Smaller, prettier, solar-powered File photo by Carter Pape Within the next two months, the City...

    Should downtown Moab extend to the river?

    City attempts to balance growth with sprawl The sidewalk across from 500 West on Main Street ends a...

    Travel Council could see TRT funding drop sharply

    Moab Area Travel Council Executive Director Elaine Gizler and Travel Council Chair Howard Trenholme voice support for proposed transient room tax reform during a joint meeting with the Grand County Council – provided assurances are made the council will always receive, as proposed, an annual minimum of $2.5 million in funding.

    Planners to enhance lodging standards

    A neon sign lets travelers know there are vacancies at a local hotel. Planners at Grand County Community and Economic Development...

    County ratifies vote on lodging ban

    Flaws in how a July 18 Grand County Council special meeting was noticed prompted Grand County Attorney Christina Sloan to require the council to ratify its revote on whether to temporarily remove overnight lodging developments as a use by right.

    Wells: ‘We haven’t been on the same page the whole time’

    Curtis Wells said his colleagues on the Grand County Council were aware he had serious concerns regarding the removal of lodging as a permitted use from existing businesses and...

    City follows county’s lead, bans new lodging

    The Moab City Council quietly approved an ordinance that temporarily removes as a use by right future overnight lodging developments while staff, led by City Planner Nora Shepard, creates new standards.

    In new vote, county council approves overnight lodging ban

    Two days after the Grand County Council voted down an ordinance removing the use by right to develop overnight lodging in a 3-3 vote, the council reversed itself 5-0 in two actions taken during a special meeting.

    County Council to revisit Tuesday’s failed lodging ordinance vote

    The Grand County Council meets at 2 p.m. today, July 18, to revisit Tuesday’s 3-3 vote on an ordinance that would temporarily ban construction of hotels, motels and other lodging providers on county land outside of the Moab city limits. The Moab City Council is exploring a similar ordinance.

    3-3 vote defeats lodging ordinance

    Despite overwhelming public support, a proposed ordinance to remove overnight lodging as a use by right – meaning they could not be developed, at least temporarily in Grand County – failed to pass after council members voted 3-3, in the absence of Member Jaylyn Hawks, at Tuesday’s July 16 Grand County Council meeting.

    Young sisters killed in Goblin Valley flash flood

    Two young siblings from West Jordan died in a flashflood at Little Wild Horse Canyon inside Goblin Valley State Park in Emery...

    Against local officials’ request, gov. allows Moab lodgings to fully reopen

    Grand County asked to keep hotel capacities limited. The state overruled local elected and health officials, instead further lifting restrictions on the county.

    Man pleads guilty to crimes against minor

    A Moab man has pleaded guilty after his January arrest on allegations he had engaged in a two-year sexual relationship with a teenager.

    Samuel Beauregard, 45, could receive up to five years on each of the two counts to which he pleaded guilty...

    Another business folds: Owner says Atomic Grill will not reopen

    In a public letter to Moab posted on his Facebook profile, Tim Buckingham, chef and owner of the Atomic Grill and Lounge...

    The class of 2020 will celebrate like none before

    With physical distancing and social togetherness the name of the game amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the class of 2020 from Grand County High School will join their peers around the state, country and world to celebrate their graduation in a manner that will be altogether unprecedented and unique but will — to the degree that it is safe — bring them together to celebrate on May 28.